Skip to main content

Intro

Welcome! Much like the rest of the internet, I have thoughts about the media I consume. Media writing has become a bit of a hot topic lately; not to be a hipster about it, but I've been sharing my thoughts on my favorite media since I was a teenager on LiveJournal. While the Internet can be a solitary place, the stories we create as a society are meant to be consumed as a society, shared and discussed. Stories are how we have communicated to and about each other for thousands of years; they represent a way of understanding and empathizing with people unlike us, as well as a way to join people with similar experiences from half a world away. And so, I wanted a place dedicated to the sharing of these stories.

As this is a project devoted to looking at the stories I find myself consuming this year, I won’t be talking about those high-quality stories that I just can’t get into. As a now-sadly-defunct podcast I love articulated for me, there is a difference between quality and enjoyment. Sometimes you don't like good quality stories; sometimes you love things that aren't well-thought out or constructed. I can't guarantee my enjoyment will line up with good quality, though I hope we'll have something to share, regardless.

The stories I will be discussing have a common through-line and can be roughly sketched as: character-oriented, dealing with serious topics, but usually with a feeling of hope and optimism. Sometimes, this will take the form of "grimdark" and gritty stories that can bring catharsis with their pain; sometimes, it'll be focusing on the heights of human joy, rather than the depths of human depravity.

If you’re interested in hearing about character-driven stories, often with important social implications, and a healthy dash of hope and joy, stick around.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Media I’m Thankful For

D irk Gently’s Holistic Detective Agency , airing Saturdays at 9pm on BBC America Join Dirk Gently, a detective who doesn’t so much observe and deduce as stumble over the solution to a mystery he hadn’t learned about yet, and his friends as they find themselves in a fairytale. Somewhere between Disney and Grimm lies a realm where storybook characters find our world to be of immense interest, thanks to an ancient prophecy.   Dirk Gently’s Holistic Detective Agency  is currently rocketing into the final third of a truly spectacular second season, but you can easily marathon all episodes on the BBC America website or  Hulu .   It Devours!  by Joseph Fink and Jeffrey Cranor If you took my advice from August and started listening to  Welcome to Night Vale , then you’ll understand how excited I was to read the second novel in that universe. Nilanjana Sikdar, a scientist who studies but does not really connect with her chosen home, follows a dangerous t...

Book Rec: Blackfish City

"Money is a mind, the oldest artificial intelligence. Its prime directives are simple, its programming endlessly creative. Humans obey it unthinkingly, with cheerful alacrity. Like a virus, it doesn't care if it kills its host. It will simply flow on to someone new, to control them as well. City Hall, the collective of artificial intelligences, is a framework of programs constructed around a single, never explicitly stated purpose: to keep Money safe. What would it take to rival something so powerful? What kind of mind would be required to triumph over this monstrosity? What combination of technology and biology, hope and sickness? How can we who have nothing but the immense magnificent tiny powerless spark of our own singular Self harness that energy, magnify it, make it in something that can stand beside these invisible giants, these artificial intelligences, weighty legal words on parchment and the glimmering ones and zeros of code in a processor somewhere? You sco...

Book Rec: Dear Cyborgs

Dear Cyborgs is a collection of interwoven vignettes that touch on community, politics, the technological interplay between both, the nature and forms of protest, what it means to be an outsider that serves the group and an insider that takes from it. The end left me gasping with tears. Favorite character: Ms. Mistelto, the so-called villainess of this potential future/alternate universe who calls to mind the freedom fighter/terrorist perspective coin-flip that pulled me so closely to Liber8 in Continuum , among others. Favorite quotes: "For the experience, I invite you to participate in city ghostliness. It's an odd sensation that quickly becomes almost comfortable, almost second nature. Now human exchange has been reduced to transaction. That's what makes the ghosting possible. We ever prefer it, at first. It's less energy to simply watch the numbers go up or down than try to confront a person's expression. And we don't realize until it's done that...